« Home | So many arms reach from my memories » | A lovely singing voice » | 'Till I no more can » | The six month rule » | Priorities » | Requiescat in pace » | Doom. Da-Doom. Crash! » | Give a hoot » | Doctor my eyes » | Catching up » 

Monday, November 19, 2007 

Vast stores of knowledge

We've been headed this way since the invention of writing, really, but it does seem to be approaching a critical point; who else out there keeps half their brain on a computer?

I try not to keep it on a computer. I keep it copies across multiple computer systems and networks that have their own redundencies built in.

I makes me feel more confident that I won't lose the information, though I feel like I'm finding treasure when I hit a cache every couple months and see what I've actually stored there. Perhaps I need another system to just index what is where, and why it's where it is...:P

Great, so now keeping track of our brains is going to become an infinitely recursive problem!

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about that this morning (okay, so I no longer need to remember those phone numbers I wrote down, but I do need to remember where I wrote them down...).

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates