« Home | Ah well » | The sense of touch » | Keep the streets empty for me » | Everything I talk about I talk about » | I'd rather snore » | Mini-Bush » | Exciting developments! » | You love it, you leave it, you can't kill everything » | The way of wrong power » | Get to know it in the dark » 

Saturday, March 28, 2009 

Pureed

I never wrote for Blender (friends did) and I was a regular reader since I randomly picked up an issue in a convenience store to mock it and stumbled upon a really insightful piece on Elvis Costello. A lot of the stuff I've seen written since the end of the magazine was announced has been pretty negative stuff; Robert Christgau actually puts it best, I think. Yes, the shrinking word counts were a damn shame (but not exactly Blender's fault) and yes some of the content was a little list-happy, but in terms of a good, North American general interest music magazine it was pretty much the top of the heap, and it had some fine writing in it. And now it's gone and we're back to pretty much Rolling Stone and Spin (both of which are unacceptable for differing reasons, although if the latter went to straight politics/investigative reporting, I'd probably buy it).



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates