« Home | Either way it's a crazy golf course » | This frequency my universe » | Kind of a big deal » | Catching up » | More than this, I'm more than this » | You think you have what you own » | Calm, collected » | "You think you can choose the kind of guy you are?" » | Design of a decade (it begins, pt. who even knows?) » | Where you been? » 

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 

Hot Chipapalooza

So the new Hot Chip album, One Life Stand, is really amazing. I mean, really amazing. 2010 is already shaping up to be quite good year, but I think One Life Stand will rank highly for me at the end of it, and I am very excited to see them live in April.

For the second time in as many weeks, Pitchfork has beaten me to the punch (although this time much more narrowly), and Scott Plagenhoef's review of One Life Stand is one of the few I've seen that's a sensible take on the album, and not just because (like me) he loves it; most of what I read from more measured commenters, including friends of mine, doesn't resemble the album I've heard at all. And Pitchfork is also hosting a brief featurette on the band, too, which is worth it just for This Heat's Charles Hayward's appearance. This Heat, Robert Wyatt, Peter Gabriel, house music, Bill Withers, Prince... if nothing else, you can't fault the influences they're drawing on.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates