« Home | 2005 singles » | "I, Jon Stewart, hate Christmas" » | What have I done to deserve this? » | A sense, not an idea » | Hey there, Mr. Blue » | Miscarriage » | Mail call » | Palm meet forehead » | Oh, those crazy Russians » | Sometimes I forget I'm still awake » 

Thursday, December 15, 2005 

Stage magic

This post makes me intrigued about Frank Kogan's new book Real Punks Don't Wear Black (although really, the title alone would probably be enough for me to check it out), but it gets even better once it drops this interesting little thought:

In stage magic, pretending that it's all for real (i.e. that you actually possess supernatural powers) is seen as vulgar or a cheat; showing the wires is also frowned upon. A magic performance, in other words, is an idea that refuses - or cannot survive - a follow-through. Somewhere in the tangle of the article I'm suggesting a similar thing about manufactured pop.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates