« Home | I didn't even have to use my A.K. » | There's nothing more terrifying than a scientist w... » | I won't fuck us over » | Look up » | Communications down » | Financial ruin » | You're no doubt wondering » | At last » | Quaffing » | Probably the last one » 

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 

A romantic about music

Dan Hancox's interview with/article on Burial is one of my favourite things I've read all year. What a great piece; Untrue is as good (or, probably) better than you've heard if you've heard of it at all, and Hancox does a good job on exploring what makes the guy so interesting. May he successfully preserve his anonymity as long as he wants.

And for such a reclusive, relatively quiet guy, Burial does a great job of articulating for all of us who like darker, sadder music why that is: "When I'm awake all night, sometimes I see the people and the city waking up around me. I feel a little bit moody at them for stepping into my night-time. What I want is that feeling when you're in the rain, or a storm. It's a shiver at the edge of your mind, an atmosphere of hearing a sad, distant sound, but it seems closer - like it's just for you."



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates