« Home | Worthy » | I can't take my eyes off you » | Mouth full of pain » | A romantic about music » | I didn't even have to use my A.K. » | There's nothing more terrifying than a scientist w... » | I won't fuck us over » | Look up » | Communications down » | Financial ruin » 

Saturday, December 15, 2007 

There you stood on the edge of your feather



I said this at work the other day when it came on, and I think my coworkers thought I was joking, or at least exaggerating. But I don't think I was; I think "Expecting to Fly" by Neil Young (in the guise of Buffalo Springfield) may be the best song ever. If I had the time right now for a The Blue in the Air-style lauding, well, babe you know I'd try.

I saw the post title on your blog and hoped it was about this song. We are truly twins as I tell anyone who has not heard this song to immediately listen to it as it is most likely the best song in the world and a very early pre-cursor to dream pop and shoegaze (it makes Slowdive sound outdated!). Big ups to you for mentioning this Ian.

Oh and I think I owe you an email from early December - woops.

Merry Xmas my friend,

Cam

I think you do, which is a great relief as I felt a major twinge of guilt at first - did I owe Cam an email?

I agree wholeheartedly on this one. The production is just fucking amazing, from that opening swell on, and although I wasn't thinking of it in dream pop/shoegaze terms, I think you're absolutely right - Slowdive didn't top or capture the feeling of it until Pygmalion, if at all. Hope you guys had a good xmas!

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates